Ref: 66/2015

Date: 13 October 2015

Ahmed Saleh Mahayan (Manasra) (13), 

The Palestinian Center for Human Rights
(PCHR) condemns in the strongest terms the crime committed by Israeli forces on
Monday, 12 October 2015, in occupied East Jerusalem, which resulted in killing
Hassan Khaled Mahayna (Manasra) (15), from Beit Hanina village, north of the
city. Moreover, PCHR condemns the deliberate delay made by the David Red Star
ambulance crew to offer first aid to his cousin, who was deliberately run over
by Israeli forces. PCHR warns against the increasing number of killings among
Palestinian civilians, including children and girls, in the occupied city on
the grounds of suspicion of carrying out stabbings against Israeli forces and
settlers. This crime was committed few hours after the killing of Mostafa
al-Khateeb (18), from Sour Baher village, south of occupied Jerusalem.
Furthermore, PCHR denounces this crime that is added to the series of Israeli
crimes committed in East Jerusalem in particular, and the occupied Palestinian
territory (oPt) in general. Therefore, PCHR calls upon the international
community to take immediate action and fulfill its legal and moral obligations
to protect the Palestinian civilians in the oPt. PCHR believes that the silence
of the international community towards these crimes encourages the Israeli
government to continue its policy that violates the international humanitarian

According to investigations conducted by
PCHR, on Monday afternoon, 12 October 2015, Israeli forces opened fire at
Hassan Khaled Mahayna (Manasra) (15) and deliberately run over his cousin Ahmed
Saleh Mahayan (Manasra) (13), both are from Beit Hanina village, north of
occupied East Jerusalem. They were attacked while going to a mall near their
family houses in "Pisgat Ze’ev" settlement. As a result, the first
child was killed by several bullet wounds, while the other sustained serious
wounds. The Israeli police claimed that two settlers were seriously wounded as
the two Palestinian boys had stabbed them.

A video published by Ma’an Satellite
Channel showed Ahmed after he was deliberately run over in the light rail area.
In spite of the boy’s wound, bleeding and cries for help, Israeli settlers and
police officers insulted and swore at him calling for brutally killing him. The
video also documents the presence of a David Red Star ambulance crew in the
scene but did not offer the boy first aid on time responding to the settlers’
calls stating, "Die Die".

The killed boy’s family said to PCHR
fieldworker in the city that their son Hassan is a 10th grade
student at Ibn Khaldoun School, and his cousin is an 8th grade
student at the New Generation School. Both of them went back home in Beit
Hanina village from their school and then went out heading to the nearby mall
in "Pisgat Ze’ev" settlement. Hassan wanted to buy a games CD and
Ahmed wanted to buy a pigeon. The family refuted the Israeli police story.

Afterwards, Israeli Special Forces raided
over 10 nearby houses belonging to the same family. They detained the family
members in the family’s divan and cordoned them. They also arrested the two
boys’ fathers and took them to al-Qashala police station to be questioned.

Additionally, at approximately 13:00 on
the same day, Israeli police officers opened fire at the schoolgirl Marah
Bakeer (17) from Beit Hanina village. As a result, she was seriously wounded.
She was then taken to a hospital in West Jerusalem for medical treatment.
Israeli officers opened fire at the girl after a settler attempted to attack
her when she was present at the bus stop in al-Shaikh Jarrah area, north of the
Old City, after finishing her school.

According to investigations conducted by
PCHR, the aforementioned schoolgirl was on her way back home from Abdullah Bin
al-Hussein School for Girls along with her friend in the street. They both
stopped at the red traffic light when a settler cursed them. He kept chasing
them to the bus stop in Shaikh Jarrah area near the Israeli police headquarters.
The settler was crying that Bakeer is "A terrorist" and she had a
knife and attempted to stab him. The Israeli police hurried up and fired four
live bullets at Bakeer although she was begging them and saying that she did
nothing. One of her friends said that Marah fell to the ground after she was
shot, after which dozens of Israeli police and intelligence officers surrounded
her and pointed their guns at her although she was bleeding and screaming. When
a Palestinian young man attempted to help her, the Israeli police officers
arrested him and accused him of being involved with her in planning for a
stabbing. The Israeli police claimed that Bakeer was suspected by a Border
Guard officer, so he stopped her. Once he approached her, she took a knife out
and attempted to stab him, but he opened fire at her.

PCHR strongly condemns these crimes that
proves the increasing number of killings among Palestinian civilians in the oPt
in general and occupied East Jerusalem in particular. Moreover, PCHR stresses
that in the above-mentioned cases, Israeli forces could have used less force
against the victims or could have arrested and tied them if their allegations
were true. PCHR reiterates its call upon the international community to take
immediate and effective actions to put an end to such crimes and reiterates its
call for the High Contracting Parties to the Fourth Geneva Convention of 1949
to fulfill their obligations under Article 1; i.e., to respect and to ensure
respect for the Convention in all circumstances, and their obligation under Article
146 to prosecute persons alleged to commit grave breaches of the Fourth Geneva
Convention.  These grave breaches
constitute war crimes under Article 147 of the same Convention and Protocol I
Additional to the Geneva Conventions.  

A video documenting how Ahmed al-Manasra was wounded