IOF Continue Attacks Across the Gaza Strip for the 18th Consecutive Day: 51 Palestinians Killed, Including 17 Unarmed Civilians:
Date: 13 January 2009
Time: 12:50 GMT
IOF Continue Attacks Across the Gaza Strip for the 18th Consecutive Day:
51 Palestinians Killed, Including 17 Unarmed Civilians:
Victims include 3 Children, 5 Women and One Physician:
Current Death Toll is 936 People, Including 635 Unarmed Civilians and 165 Members of the Civilian Police Force, Who Are Also Classified as Civilians:
IOF Conducts Large Scale Destruction of Houses, Farms and other Civilian Objects, Forcing Civilians To Flee:
IOF Continue to Use Incinerating Bombs Against Gaza Population.
In violation of international human rights and humanitarian law, and amid international silence, the Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) are continuing their indiscriminate attacks in the Gaza Strip. For the eighteenth consecutive day, IOF continue to systematically target Gaza civilians and their public and private property.
In their ongoing war against the population of Gaza Strip, IOF are perpetrating further war crimes, launching intense air strikes, and shelling populated residential areas day and night.
The IOF have also continued to destroy massive numbers of private and public civilian objects, forcing civilians to either leave their homes, or else detaining them under extreme inhumane conditions. In addition, IOF have arrested hundreds of Palestinian civilians, and transferred them to camps on the northern Gaza border, or to jails inside Israel.
Whilst preparing this press release, the Palestinian Centre for Human Rights (PCHR) received numerous appeals from civilians in Khza’a village, east of Khan Younis, asking for urgent help for dozens of local families who have been detained in their homes by IOF under extreme conditions. Locals told PCHR that IOF are destroying houses in Khza’a village whilst civilians were trapped inside, and that there is heavy gunfire in the area.
The civilian death toll is rising across the Gaza Strip, and shelters run by the UN Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) are overcrowded with civilians who have been forced to leave their homes for their own safety.
This is a summary of the crimes committed by IOF in the Gaza Strip during the last 24 hours, as documented by PCHR.
Northern Gaza Strip
· At approximately 12:05 on Monday, 12 January 2009, an IOF drone fired a missile at Yaser Shbair, 30, while he was walking near building no. 3 in Sheikh Zayed housing town in Beit Lahia. Shbair was seriously injured.
· At approximately 13:00, two civilians, including a child, were injured, when IOF tanks shelled Zimmu Street in the east of Beit Hanoun.
· At approximately 14:00, medical personnel found the body of Khaled Hassan al-‘Abed, 20, in the Salatin area in the west of Beit Lahia. Al-‘Abed lives in the Sheikh Radwan district and is a member of the Palestinian resistance. He was killed in clashes with IOF.
· At approximately 15:05, an IOF drone fired a missile at a Volkswagen in the al-‘Alami housing project in Jabalia. As a result, 3 civilians, including the driver and other two children in the area, were killed. Three other civilians were injured. The dead civilians have been identified as:
1. ‘Anan Nemer Mansour, 42, the driver of the Volkswagen,
2. Nasha’at Ra’ed al-Firi, 11,
3. Fadel Imad al-Najjar, 2.
· At approximately 15:30, a number of IOF military vehicles moved into al-Ghazalat district, near Beit Hanoon, and indiscriminately shelled civilian houses. No injuries were reported.
· Five minutes later, an IOF drone fired a missile near Ibrahim al-Khalil Mosque in al-Twam area. A civilian was seriously injured as a result.
· At approximately 15:40, IOF warplanes bombarded farms in Sheikh Ahmed Yasin Street in al-Saftawi area. Three children were moderately wounded.
· At approximately 16:17, IOF tanks shelled the al-Banna Hamouda building in al-Zarqa area in Jabalia Town. A number of civilians were injured in the attack. Palestinian ambulances immediately drove to the attacked building. While medical personnel were trying to evacuate the wounded, IOF fired a second shell to the area, resulting in the killing of physician Issa Abdul Rahim Saleh, 32, who is a member of the medical personnel, who was attempting to evacuate the injured. The IOF then fired a third shell into the area. Beside killing the physician, 3 civilians, including two sisters, were killed, and four other people, including a member of the civil defense force, were injured. The dead are:
1. Mustafa Juma’a al-Basha, 20,
2. Ayat Kamal al-Banna, 18,
3. Ferial Kamal al-Banna, 21.
· At approximately 20:40, IOF warplanes bombarded an agricultural area near al-Barrawi petrol station in Beit LAhia. 3 bystanders sustained shrapnel injuries.
· At approximately 21:30, IOF warplanes; tanks and gunboats shelled Beer al-Na’aja area, al-Khuzundar petrol station, Aslan district, and western Beit Lahia. As a result, a number of local houses were set alight, and the residents were forced to flee.
· At approximately 22:05, IOF warplanes fired three missiles at al-Andalus building in the south-west of Jabalia, and the vacant building set alight.
· At approximately 02:00 on Tuesday, 13 January 2009, IOF moved towards al-Karama area and ‘Amer housing project in the south-west of Jabalia, under firing; shelling and clashes with members of the Palestinian resistance that continued till 08:00. The clashes resulted in the killing of 13 members of the Palestinian resistance:
1. Hassan Mohammed Abu Zamar, 22,
2. Mohammed Khalil Ibrahim Abu Leila, 20,
3. Na’el Mahmoud Ali, 25,
4. Ibrahim Isma’il Dababish, 22,
5. Usama Ahmed al-‘Absi, 24,
6. Hamad Hassan al-Barrawi, 25,
7. Kamel Jamil al-Sarhi, 22,
8. Yousif Mohammed al-Sherbasi, 27,
9. Yousif ‘Umar Lubbad, 23,
10. Khaled Sa’adi al-‘Abed, 24,
11. ‘Asa’ad Sa’adi Ahmed, 24,
12. Ali al-Tannani, 26,
13. Ahmed Kamal al-Dalu, 27.
· At approximately 12:00, the body of an elderly man, Megbel ‘Eed al-Jarabi’a, 92, arrived at Kamal ‘Odwan Hospital. The body was decomposed. Al-Jarabi’a was killed on the first day of IOF attack in al-Magsala area in ‘Izbat ‘Abed Rabbu, in northern the Gaza Strip, were he lives. Al-Jarabi’a was carrying a white flag in his hand.
· At approximately 12:30 on Monday, 12 January 2009, IOF fired a missile at a child, Mohammed Ala’a al-Sawafiri, 14, near his home in al-Burhan Street in al-Zaytoun district east of Gaza City.
· At approximately 13:00, two members of the Palestinian resistance were killed in an air attack:
1. Abdullah Mazen al-Gharra, 30, who was killed in al-Zaytoun district east of Gaza City:
2. Sha’aban Abdul Mawla al-Gharra, 28, who was killed near his home in al-Sabra district.
· At approximately 14:00, IOF warplanes fired bullets at populated apartments in al-Thafer Building no. 5 in Tal al-Hawa district in the south of Gaza City. Four apartments were set alight, and the apartments were subsequently evacuated.
· At approximately 15:00, an IOF drone fired a missile at a group of the members of the Palestinian resistance near Sha’aban Mosque in Palestine Square in the center of Gaza City. 3 members were killed as a result:
1. Khalil Ahmed Abu al-Kheir, 22,
2. Tareq Fadel Ja’afar, 29:
3. Sharif Sami Abu al-Kheir, 23.
· At approximately 17:00, an IOF drone fired a missile at Usama Abu al-Seifi, 20, who is a member of the Palestinian resistance, in the east of al-Zaytoun district. Al-Seifi was killed.
· At approximately 20:00, IOF warplanes fired a missile at two members of the Palestinian resistance in the east of al-Zaytoun district:
1. Raji Rushdi Dalloul, 24:
2. Ihsan Fawzi al-Nadim, 31.
· At approximately 01:00 on Tuesday, 13 January 2009, an IOF F-16 fired a missile at a 4-storey house belonging to Kayed Abu Jayab in al-Sheik Radwan district, north of Gaza City. The house was completely destroyed and neighboring houses were heavily damaged. The house was inhabited by 50 people.
· At approximately 01:30, violent clashes erupted between members of the Palestinian resistance and IOF, who moved into al-Dahadih area, between al-Zaytoun district and Tal al-Hawa district. The clashes resulted in the killing of 8 members of the Palestinian resistance:
- Mohammed Nader Abu Sha’aban, 17,
- Fathi Yousif al-Mzeinin, 18,
- Hatem Deeb Abu Daf, 23,
- Belal Mohammed Deeba, 19,
- Ala’a Monther Abdul Shafe’i, 37,
- Mahmoud Ahmed Juha, 19,
- Sa’ad Mohammed Hassan, 21,
- Mohammed Hazem Abu Lbad, 20.
· At approximately 05:00, IOF warplanes fired a missile at Hesham al-Saqqa, 21, who is a member of the Palestinian resistance, in al-Sudaneya area in the north of Gaza. Al-Saqqa was killed.
· At approximately 9:00, IOF, positioned in the outskirts of al-Zaytoun district, fired repeatedly at two members of the ‘Ayiad family, whilst going to their house near the cars market. The two civilians were killed.
1. Yahia Jameel ‘Ayiad, 30,
2. Ashraf Hamdi ‘Ayiad, 23.
· At approximately 10:00, IOF warplanes fired a missile at Mohammed Maher Mohammed Herz Allah, 23, who is a member of the Palestinian resistance, in whilst in the east of al-Zaytoun district. Herz Allah was killed.
· On the morning of 13 January, medical sources at al-Shifa Hospital in Gaza City confirmed the death of two civilians, from wounds sustained earlier.
1. Hassan Mohammed Shteiwi, 68, who was injured in al-Zaytoun district in the east of Gaza, and
2. Mamdouh Walid Shheibar, 18, who was earlier wounded in al-Sabra district.
· At approximately 04:00, an IOF F-16 fired two missiles at 2 hotels near Gaza sea port in the west of Gaza City, causing heavy damages to the two hotels. The first hotel is al-Jazir Hotel which belongs to ‘Amer Sa’id Selmi. The second hotel is Shehab Palace Hotel which belongs to Farid Hashem Shehab.
Central Gaza Strip
· At approximately 16:30 on Monday, 12 January 2009, IOF tanks fired a shell at a 2-storey house belonging to Khalil Rushdi Weshah in al-Bureij Refugee Camp. The house was heavily damaged.
· At approximately 17:00, IOF tanks, positioned in al-Mughraqa area, fired shells at civilian houses in the area. A number of houses, belonging to Abu Dahrouj; Abu ‘Iteiwi and Abu Hjayer families, were partially destroyed and set on fire.
· Also at approximately 17:00, medical sources in an Egyptian hospital announced the death of Naji Ramzi Meet, 21, from al-Bureij Refugee Camp. Meet was injured on 6 January when IOF bombarded a house belonging to Mesleh Family in al-Bureij Refugee Camp.
· At approximately 20:30, the body of Islam Isma’il Suleiman Abdul Jawad, 26, arrived from Egypt to the al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital in Deir al-Balah. Abdul Jawad was injured on 6 January when IOF bombarded a house belonging to Salah al-‘Idi in al-Maghazi Refugee camp.
· In the evening hours, four civilians, including two children, arrived wounded at the al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital in Deir al-Balah. The four civilians were all injured inside their houses in al-Zahra’a housing town when IOF tanks, positioned to the north of al-Zahra’a housing town, fired shells and bullets at their houses.
· At approximately 23:15, an IOF drone fired a missile at a 2-storey house belonging to Mousa Ahmed al-Shanti, 48, in al-Maghazi Refugee Camp. The house is inhabited by three families with eleven members. Few minutes later, IOF fired a second missile at the house, causing its entire destruction and heavy damages to neighboring houses.
· At approximately 01:40 on Tuesday, 13 January 2009, IOF gunboats shelled al-Sawarha area in the west of al-Nuseirat Refugee Camp, causing damages to a number of houses and horror amongst civilians, mainly children and women. Al-Sawarha area is exposed to daily shelling by IOF gunboats.
· At approximately 03:00, an IOF F-16 fired a missile at the al-Ahli Club in al-Nuseirat Refugee Camp. The club was completely destroyed and heavy damages were caused to neighboring houses as a result.
· At approximately 00:00 on Tuesday, 13 January 2009, enhanced by tanks and bulldozers and supported by warplanes, IOF returned to move again into Khza’a village, under violent shelling, including the firing of incendiary and smoke shells. Members of IOF raid into a number of houses and transformed them into military barracks. Hundred of civilian locals were forced to flee their houses during and before the intensive shelling, while other locals were detained inside their houses amidst violent shelling.
· At approximately 7:00, IOF warplanes fired at least two missiles at the ground floor in a 3-storey house belonging to Khalil Hamdan Ahmed al-Najjar, 75. al-Najjar was killed as a result, and 7 members of his family, including 3 grandchildren and the mother of two of them, were injured.
· Till 10:00 o’clock, 18 civilians who were injured in the continued indiscriminate shelling arrived at Naser Hospital in Khan Younis. Some of these civilians, including five children and five women, sustained severe burns due to incendiary bombs fired by IOF.
· Eyewitnesses in Khza’a village stated to PCHR field worker that Rawheya Ahmed Suleiman al-Najjar, 45, was killed while trying to flee the area, and that her body was not yet been brought to the hospital. A number of casualties are still believed to be in the area. Eyewitnesses are talking about a number of prisoners, and wide scale bulldozing of houses and farms. Locals have also stated that IOF are ordering them to evacuate their houses and then intensely fired at them while they are trying to leave, forcing them to return to their houses for their own safety. Locals added that IOF are demolishing houses whilst locals are trapped inside.
· At approximately 12:00 on Monday, 12 January 2009, IOF F-16 jet planes fired several missiles to the border between Gaza and Egypt, near Rafah crossing and al-Salam district. Heavy damages were caused to a number of houses as a result.
· At approximately 18:25, IOF gunboats fired artillery shells at a site belonging to the Izz al-Din Brigades (the armed wing of Hamas) west to Tal al-Sultan district. No injuries were reported.
· At approximately 18:30, an IOF F-16 fired a missile at a farm in al-Shaboura Refugee Camp, behind the building of the Ministry of Education. No injuries were reported.
· Between 18:00 o’clock and 19:00 o’clock, IOF F-16 jet planes intensively bombarded with stun grenades the border between the Gaza Strip and Egypt. The bombardment resulted in the destruction of many houses in Yebna Refugee Camp and near the Salah Addin Gate and Rafah Crossing.
· At approximately 18:55, an IOF warplane fired a missile at a group of the Palestinian resistance, whilst in the Abu Bakr al-Sediq Street near al-‘Awda turnabout in the center of Rafah City. The attack resulted in the killing of two members of the group and the injury of 13 people, including ten unarmed civilians; including two children and three women. The two dead are: Ahmed Ibrahim Abu Jazar, 23, and Mohammed Lutfi al-Hoor, 22.
· At approximately 19:25, an IOF warplane fired a missile at the Abu Bakr al-Sediq Street near Ali Ben Abi Taleb Mosque. The missile caused the injury to a bystander.
· At approximately 20:55, an IOF F-16 bombarded a farm in al-Shoka village in the east of Rafah. No injuries were reported.
· Between 22:10 and 1:40, IOF F-16 jet planes fired several missiles to the border between Gaza and Egypt, causing severe damages to many populated houses.
· At approximately 22:45, an IOF F-16 bombarded a 4-storey houses belonging to Zakareya Abdul ‘Al in al-Salam district in the south of Rafah. 4 families with 25 members used to live in the targeted house that was completely destroyed. Heavy damages were caused to neighboring houses. The targeted house was evacuated.
· At approximately 22:55, an IOF F-16 bombarded a 1-storey houses belonging Imad Abdul Latif Abu Qershein in al-Salam district in the south of Rafah. Two families with 13 members used to live in the house that was completely destroyed. Heavy damages were caused to neighboring houses.
· At approximately 23:24, IOF gunboats bombarded the fishermen airport, setting fire to a number of fishing boats.
In the early hours of Tuesday, 13 January, 2009, an IOF F-16 bombarded a house belonging to Imad Sha’ath near the Dalah Addin Gate on the border with Egypt. The 2-storey house that used to be populateb by a family of five members was completely destroyed.
In light of its concerns over IOF continued escalations against the Palestinian civilian population and civilian objects in the Gaza Strip, and over the incredible increasing numbers of victims, PCHR:
1. Calls for an immediate halt to the IOF offensive against the population of the Gaza Strip.
2. Calls for an immediate halt to all IOF measures of collective punishment being imposed on the Palestinian civilian population in the Gaza Strip, especially the total siege and closure of the Gaza Strip, and demands safe movement for both persons and goods into and out of the Gaza Strip.
3. Reiterates that crimes committed by IOF are clear evidence not only for the excessive and disproportionate use of force, but also of acts of retaliation against Palestinian civilians.
4. Holds Israel responsible for the lives of Palestinian civilians in all circumstances. Under international law, the existence of armed resistance does not in any case justify the use of such excessive, disproportionate and indiscriminate force.
5. Warns that the lives of Palestinian civilians are endanger in light of threats vowed by Israeli political and military officials to expand military operations against the population of the Gaza Strip.
6. Calls upon the international community to immediately intervene to stop such crimes, and calls upon the High Contracting Parties to the Geneva Convention, Relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War, to fulfill their obligation under article 1 of the Convention to ensure respect for the Convention in all circumstances, as well as their obligation under article 146 to search for and prosecute those who are responsible for perpetrating grave breaches of the Convention, as such breaches constitute war crimes according to article 147 of the Convention and the Protocol Additional to the Geneva Conventions of 12 August 1949, and Relating to the Protection of Victims of International Armed Conflicts (Protocol I).
7. Calls upon international and Israeli human rights organizations to raise their voices against war crimes being committed by IOF against the unarmed Palestinian civilian population of the Gaza Strip.
8. Calls for the establishment of an independent inquiry commissions to investigate crimes committed by IOF against Palestinian civilians, including IOF use of internationally prohibited weapons.
9. Calls for the prosecution of all political and military officials who are found responsible for committing war crimes against Palestinian civilians.