Security Chaos and Proliferation of Small Arms
Armed Personal and Clan Clashes
10 Jul 2006
Woman and Child Killed and 10 Injured in Armed Clan Clashes in the Gaza Strip
Yesterday, Bara’ Jamal Abu Jarbou’ (11) and Nema Abdel Rahman Hamad (45) from Nuseirat refugee camp were killed and 7 others were injured in a clan clash. And today, 3 other Palestinians were injured in a clan clash in the town of Bani Suheila, east of Khan Yunis.
PCHR’s preliminary investigation indicates that at approximately 14:20 on Sunday, 9 July 2006, an intra-clan clash erupted between members of the Hamad clan in Nuseirat refugee camp. The clash escalated and firearms were used. Nine people were injured during the clash; and 2 died of their wounds later. Seven of the injured were taken to Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital; and the other 2 were taken to Shifa Hospital in Gaza City:
– Bara’ Abu Jarbou’ (11) was injured by a bullet to the head. He was a bystander in the area of the clash. He died of his wounds later;
– Nema Hamad (45) was hit by a bullet in the head as she was in her house. She was pronounced dead from her injuries later;
– Anwar Mohammad Hamad (34) was hit by a bullet in the left buttock. His condition is moderate;
– Bassam Awni Hamad (44) was injured by bullets in the left knee and thigh. His condition is moderate;
– Rashad Abdel Rahman Hamad (34) was injured by a bullet in the right foot. His condition is moderate;
– Munir Mohammad Hamad (40) was injured by a bullet in the thighs. His condition is moderate;
– Emad Nabil Hamad (20) was injured by bullets in the right knee and legs. His condition is moderate;
– Jamal Ismail Abu Jarbou’ (37) was injured by a bullet in the right thigh as he attempted to break up the clash. His condition is moderate;
– Karam Nabil Hamad (33) was injured by a bullet in the right foot. His condition is moderate;
Neighbors of the feuding clan indicated that the clash erupted over the distribution of inheritance between cousins.
At approximately 1:00 on Monday, 10 July 2006, an intra-clan clash erupted between members of the Abu Libda clan in the town of Bani Suheila, east of Khan Yunis. The clash was a rekindling of an old dispute within the clan. Firearms and home made bombs were used in the clash. Three people were injured:
– Na’el Kamal Abu Libda (25) was injured by shrapnel in different parts of the body;
– Adnan Mahmoud Abu Libda (36) was injured by shrapnel in different parts of the body. He works in Palestinian security forces;
– Mohmoud Kamal Abu Libda (21) was injured by a bullet in the right leg.
The first 2 were taken to Naser Hospital and the third to the European Hospital for treatment.
PCHR is extremely worried over the continued security chaos that includes the use of arms in personal and clan disputes. The Centre strongly condemns these crimes that are taking place at a critical time for the Palestinian people in light of the Israeli military operation against the Gaza Strip. The Centre calls upon the PNA, represented by the Attorney-General, to investigate these incidents and bring the perpetrators to justice.