Yesterday evening, on 13 April 2019, a Palestinian civilian was killed and 5 others, including 2 children and a woman, were wounded with live bullets fired from a machine riffle during a family dispute in al-Nuseirat refugee camp in the central Gaza Strip, after an armed person opened fire at a group of persons inside a wedding hall.
According to investigations conducted by the Palestinian Center for Human Rights (PCHR), at approximately 19:00 on Saturday evening, 13 April 2019, a dispute erupted between 2 families in front of al-Rabea’a Wedding Hall in al-Nuseirat refugee camp in the central Gaza Strip, when an armed person opened fire, wounding 6 persons. Those wounded civilians were identified as:
- Zakaria ‘Ali Abu Hashish (47), from al-Zawaidah, was hit with a live bullet to the chest.
- Wesam Khalil Mohammed Mousa (42), from Rafah, was hit with shrapnel to the foot.
- Suhail Mustafa Mousa (55), from Rafah, was hit with a live bullet to the foot.
- Osamah Suhail Mousa (14), from Rafah, was hit with a live bullet to the foot.
- Mohammed Khalil al-Sha’er (42), from al-Nuseirat, was hit with a live bullet to the foot.
- Mohammed Mo’een Khalil al-Sha’er (16), from al-Nuseirat, was hit with shrapnel to the right armpit.
All those wounded were taken to Shuhada’a al-Aqsa Hospital in Deir al-Balah, where Doctors classified the injury of Zakaria Abu Hashish as serious so he was admitted to in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) until his death was declared 3 hours.
The police arrived at the area, dispersed the dispute, arrested a number of suspects and then opened an investigation into the incident. At approximately 08:30 on Sunday, Zakaria’s dead body was referred to the Forensic Medicine at al-Shifa Hospital in Gaza City.
PCHR condemns this incident and calls upon the Attorney to open an investigation and take the necessary legal action. PCHR also calls upon the competent authorities to take all necessary procedures to ensure non-recurrence of such incidents.